Protect Your Business with these Mold Damage Tips!
Large or Small Business and Commercial Mold Remediation
Mold! That four letter word that seems to be everywhere! When most folks think of mold, they think of issues within residential homes and condominiums. However, mold can affect your business office, warehouse, and commercial building too. While most business often have more rigorous in-house inspections and year round maintenance or facility managers, mold can still appear at your business location, especially after a storm, water or fire damage, or other catastrophic event. It can often go unnoticed in areas that are not frequently used, from storage rooms or that office area no one has used for a while, or under cabinets, crawl spaces, and other seldom used areas.
If you notice mold or your employees or clients have mentioned a 'musty smell', you should take the following steps to mitigate the mold as soon as possible, because it will not go away on its own!
- Find the source! Mold needs four things to survive and grow/spread: Food (any organic material, including dust!), Moisture/Humidity, Oxygen, and an ideal temperature range around 75-88 degrees, however some mold have optimal growth at lower temperatures, even as low as 60 degrees Fahrenheit according to some studies.
- Fix the source! If you have an active water intrusion or leak, get it repaired and dried out as soon as possible. The longer the water damage continues, the larger your challenge for cleanup will be. If your HVAC system is not running optimally, get it tested and repaired as soon as possible. Most buildings today are built very airtight, with little natural airflow to help regulate air fluctuations, so having an efficient and well running HVAC system is very important in the Venice Florida area.
- However, if you do have mold in a certain area, you want to close off the HVAC returns and vents in that area to prevent the spread of spores to other areas of your business, and do NOT blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Do not attempt to clean with bleach or other disinfectants as these often do not fully remove the mold roots and when sprayed directly on the mold, can create spores that spread by going airborne.
- If you suspect you have mold, give SERVPRO of Venice a call. We will do a no-cost walk-through of your property and help you with the next steps, which often involve having a state licensed Industrial Hygienist (IH) or Mold Assessor to provide testing and developing a protocol for mitigation.
Please remember this: There is no such thing as 'mold removal'. Mold naturally found everywhere, but mold mitigation is what we do. If you have a mold problem, give us a call to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Top 5 Do's and Don'ts For Water Damage (Clean Water)
Be Prepared at your home or business with the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile App!
If your home has suffered from water damage (from a 'clean source') your safety and the safety of everyone in your household should be the primary focus: Is it safe to stay in the house; be aware of electrical and trip hazards, as they are some of the most common concerns; be aware of your limitations, if you are not sure of your ability, do not attempt; and remember, wet materials can be very heavy, so be careful!
Once you are back in the building and feel it is safe to do so, keep these tips in mind.
- Make sure the source is shut off. If you need to, contact a licensed plumber to assist you.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or foam/wood blocks between furniture legs and wet flooring.
- Pick up and secure any loose items from wet floors.
What NOT to do after water damage:
- Do not enter into rooms or buildings where an electrical shock hazard my be present.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines, or any other printed items that may cause staining on your floors.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, as you could cause an electric shock or damage the vacuum.
- Do not use your television or other household appliances on or near wet flooring.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet and stay out of rooms where the ceiling is sagging.
For more tips, please visit our Water Damage Tips page. If you have had a water damage and need our services, please give us a call, 24/7, at 941-484-7777.
Being a Part of the Community
Fun in the sun at the Venice Area Chamber of Commerce Annual Golf Challenge
SERVPRO of Venice is proud to be a part of the Venice and surrounding area community. From the Osprey Nokomis Chamber of Commerce and the Venice Area Chamber of Commerce, to Mangers of the Gulf Coast, Inc. (MOGCI) and Community Association Inc (CAI), you will find our locally owned SERVPRO represented.
Why do we spend so much time volunteering in the community? Because we live here, work here, raise our families here and want to see our community prosper and enrich all who call this area home and those who visit our little piece of paradise. So if you see us at a Chamber, Board of Realtors, or any other community function, know that we are there because we care, and because we love to give back to the wonderful people who call Venice home.
Hurricane Preparedness - September is National Preparedness Month
Be prepared - Not scared
News & Updates You Can Use! With the current Hurricane season in full force, and with the potential of a major hurricane coming towards Florida, we want you, our clients, members of our community, and business partners to have the sources of information you need to be prepared. Remember that even if your home and/or business is safe and secure from the effects of a storm, that infrastructure systems, including electric, water, sewer, and roads and public transportation may be severely affected and damage done to those systems can delay your ability to resupply or receive help. Delays in areas affected by major storms and hurricanes can last from hours to days. Please ensure that you and your loved ones have the basic items on the following checklist and #BePrepared. Following are important local links for Charlotte and Sarasota County, including links for Shelters, Evacuation Zones, Emergency News and Updates, and More:Shelter and Evacuation Information:
Charlotte County Emergency Management Info:
Sarasota County Emergency Management Info
Social Media, News, and Weather Information links:
(You may need to verify the accuracy of the information provided in the above links. We are supplying this information as a service to our community but cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information.) Stay safe and if you need any assistance after a storm event, please contact us 24/7 at 941-484-7777
Top 8 Residential Fire and Smoke Damage Tips
SERVPRO fire and smoke damage tips for Venice Florida homeowners.
If your home has suffered from fire and/or smoke damage, your safety and the safety of everyone in your household should be the primary focus. Sometimes a fire marshall or other government official may need to give the 'all clear' before allowing anyone back into the building. If you are unsure, check with your local fire department.
Once you are back in the building, keep these tips in mind:
- Some of the most prevalent concerns to be on the lookout for are electrical and "slip and fall" hazards.
- If you are not sure about the safety of an activity that needs to be completed, do not attempt.
- Be careful handling wet materials, as they can be VERY heavy.
- To reduce the chance for smoke and soot becoming embedded into furniture, carpets, or upholstery, keep the movement limited in your home.
- Keep hands, tools, and cleaning cloths clean and fresh so as to not increase the amount of soiling.
- Change your HVAC filter. If smoke was heavy, consider having a licensed HVAC company inspect your duct work and air handler and other equipment that may have been damaged or affected.
- Remember the bottom side when cleaning house plants and other household items.
- Use a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil to clean and protect your household chrome.
Visit the following page for more information and tips: https://www.SERVPROvenice.com/fire-damage-tips
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? We are here to help you. Call (941) 484-7777
SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team and your local SERVPRO of Venice are ready to assist you in times of natural or manmade disasters.
Did you know that the best way to reduce a business interruption following a disaster is to prepare for it now? Around 40% of businesses may never recover after suffering a disaster. Of the businesses that do survive, the majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. Here are a few quick steps you can take to prepare:
- Identify your risks and notate them: are you in a flood zone? Do you have a lot of trees near your business that could pose a threat? How quickly can you evacuate if needed?
- Create a disaster plan that includes at a minimum the following information: utility shut-off locations; emergency contacts; building and business insurance, vendor, and other important personnel contacts; have all electronic and/or paper records and files backed up offsite (cloud storage); evacuation routes; backup generator location and operation; known hazardous materials; etc.
- Share your plan with key personnel and make sure your employees know how to react and be communicated with during a disaster.
- Test and practice your preparedness plans. Make sure you have all employees correct contact information and that they understand your disaster protocol.
- During times of natural disasters, listen to your local government officials and media to know if, when, and where to evacuate and for other critical news and information.
For more information contact us at SERVPRO, follow your local and county Emergency Management Office on social media, and use public resources available from FEMA, such as this PDF document: Business Continuity and Preparedness
You can also contact SERVPRO of Venice for a no-cost Emergency Ready Profile. We will develop an initial readiness profile for your business and help you be prepared. Give us a call at 941-484-7777 or email at marketing@SERVPROofvenice.com to schedule your Emergency Ready Profile today.
Venice Florida Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Venice for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Venice specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 941-484-7777
Restoring Your Venice Florida Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Venice Florida Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at your Venice Florida commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Venice
SERVPRO of Venice specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- ECTP - Employee Certification Training Program
- FSRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- OSHA - Other Training
- RRRP - Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- CAI WEST FLORIDA CHAPTER
- MOGCI (Manager of Gulf Coast Inc.)
- Osprey Nokomis Chamber of Commerce
- Venice Area Board of Realtors
- Venice Area Chamber of Commerce
- Venice Area Chamber of Commerce Business of the Month
Venice Chamber Annual Golf Challenge!
Bob Gillo of SERVPRO of Venice and Port Charlotte working the Venice Area Chamber of Commerce Golf Challenge Putting Contest
SERVPRO of Venice has been a proud sponsor of the Venice Area Chamber of Commerce Annual Golf Challenge for the last 11 years. During that time we have had the privilege of awarding dozens of prizes to the winners of the Putting Contest that we sponsor.
The Golf Challenge is the biggest fundraiser for the Venice Area Chamber of Commerce, and is always regarded as the most fun event that the organization hosts. SERVPRO of Venice always has a great time with the putting contest and we love to see how well our fellow Chamber members do throughout the day with their putting skills. Some amazing players participate, and some who just love to have fun :)
Thank you again to everyone who took part in the Putting Contest and the Chamber Golf Challenge, and we'll see you next year too!
Is your business Storm Ready?
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan smartphone app puts help in the palm of your hand!
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster is to Plan For it NOW!
As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-Planning can server as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind.
By developing the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for your business, you are minimizing the business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
If you are ready to get started on your Emergency Ready Profile disaster preparedness plan, Call Us Today at 941-484-7777 or email us at marketing@SERVPROofvenice.com for more information.