Top 10 Fire and Smoke Damage Tips for Your Home
What Now? SERVPRO of Venice is here to help!
If your home has suffered from fire and/or smoke damage, your safety and the safety of everyone in your household should be the primary focus. Sometimes a fire marshal or other government official may need to give the 'all clear' before allowing anyone back into the building. If you are unsure, check with your local fire department.
Once you are back in the building, keep these tips in mind:
- Some of the most prevalent concerns to be on the lookout for are electrical and "slip and fall" hazards.
- If you are not sure about the safety of an activity that needs to be completed, do not attempt.
- Be careful handling wet materials, as they can be VERY heavy.
- To reduce the chance for smoke and soot becoming embedded into furniture, carpets, or upholstery, keep the movement limited in your home.
- Keep hands, tools, and cleaning cloths clean and fresh so as to not increase the amount of soiling.
- Change your HVAC filter. If smoke was heavy, consider having a licensed HVAC company inspect your duct work and air handler and other equipment that may have been damaged or affected.
- Remember the bottom side when cleaning house plants and other household items.
- Use a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil to clean and protect your household chrome.
- Document all losses and review insurance information.
- Secure your property.
Visit the following page for more information and tips: https://www.SERVPROvenice.com/fire-damage-tips
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? We are here to help you. Call (941) 484-7777
Tips to Protect Your Commercial Property From Mold Damage
Large or Small Business and Commercial Mold Remediation
Mold! That four letter word that seems to be everywhere! When most folks think of mold, they think of issues within residential homes and condominiums. However, mold can affect your business office, warehouse, and commercial building too. While most business often have more rigorous in-house inspections and year round maintenance or facility managers, mold can still appear at your business location, especially after a storm, water or fire damage, or other catastrophic event. It can often go unnoticed in areas that are not frequently used, from storage rooms or that office area no one has used for a while, or under cabinets, crawl spaces, and other seldom used areas.
If you notice mold or your employees or clients have mentioned a 'musty smell', you should take the following steps to mitigate the mold as soon as possible, because it will not go away on its own!
- Find the source! Mold needs four things to survive and grow/spread: Food (any organic material, including dust!), Moisture/Humidity, Oxygen, and an ideal temperature range around 75-88 degrees, however some mold have optimal growth at lower temperatures, even as low as 60 degrees Fahrenheit according to some studies.
- Fix the source! If you have an active water intrusion or leak, get it repaired and dried out as soon as possible. The longer the water damage continues, the larger your challenge for cleanup will be. If your HVAC system is not running optimally, get it tested and repaired as soon as possible. Most buildings today are built very airtight, with little natural airflow to help regulate air fluctuations, so having an efficient and well running HVAC system is very important in the Venice Florida area.
- However, if you do have mold in a certain area, you want to close off the HVAC returns and vents in that area to prevent the spread of spores to other areas of your business, and do NOT blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Do not attempt to clean with bleach or other disinfectants as these often do not fully remove the mold roots and when sprayed directly on the mold, can create spores that spread by going airborne.
- If you suspect you have mold, give SERVPRO of Venice a call. We will do a no-cost walk-through of your property and help you with the next steps, which often involve having a state licensed Industrial Hygienist (IH) or Mold Assessor to provide testing and developing a protocol for mitigation.
Please remember this: There is no such thing as 'mold removal'. Mold naturally found everywhere, but mold mitigation is what we do. If you have a mold problem, give us a call to help make it "Like it never even happened."
Blackout! How to be prepared "After the Storm"
When the storms roll in, "Be Prepared, not Scared!
Are you prepared in case there is a blackout (loss of power) after a storm? Follow are a few tips for how to prepare in the event of a power outage.
TLDR: Watch the following video from FEMA for the 10 tips:
The American Red Cross suggests the following:Coping with Power OutagesSudden power outages can be frustrating and troublesome, especially when they last a long time. If a power outage is 2 hours or less, don’t be concerned about losing your perishable foods. For prolonged power outages, though, there are steps you can take to minimize food loss and to keep all members of your household as comfortable as possible. Energy Conservation Recommendations
- Turn off lights and computers when not in use.
- Wash clothes in cold water if possible; wash only full loads and clean the dryer's lint trap after each use.
- When using a dishwasher, wash full loads and use the light cycle. If possible, use the rinse only cycle and turn off the high temperature rinse option. When the regular wash cycle is done, just open the dishwasher door to allow the dishes to air dry.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with energy efficient compact fluorescent lights
While blackouts are not fun, if you are prepared, they can be a lot less stressful for the family. If you have pets, children, anyone with disabilities, senior citizens, or anyone else who may have special needs staying in your home, make sure you have supplies, medicine, and comfort items that will help them cope through the blackout time also.
Updated for 2021! Sarasota County Hurricane & Disaster Preparedness
Be Prepared, Not Scared. Know what to do when disaster comes your way!
Although our current hurricane season is almost over (The 'season' runs from June 1 - November 30), we want you, our clients, members of our community, and business partners to have the sources of information you need to be prepared. And now is the best time to be prepared.
Remember that even if your home and/or business is safe and secure from the effects of a storm, that infrastructure systems, including electric, water, sewer, and roads and public transportation may be severely affected and damage done to those systems can delay your ability to resupply or receive help. Delays in areas affected by major storms and hurricanes can last from hours to days. Please ensure that you and your loved ones have the basic items on the following checklist and "Be Prepared."
Following are some useful news, weather, shelter and government links for those who live in the Venice Florida area. Please note that sometimes links change and you may need to search for an updated source of information. This information is to help you, but should not be your only source. Contact your local emergency management service for more information.
Sarasota County Emergency Management Info:
Social Media, News, and Weather Information links:
Why SERVPRO of Venice for your Sewage and Toilet Overflow Cleanup and Restoration
Do not wait to call for help when your home or office experiences a sewage backup or toilet overflow!
When a sewage backup or toilet overflow happens in your home or office, trying to cleanup without the right tools and expertise can be dangerous. Sewage cleanup is considered an emergency since the water may contain viruses, bacteria, and other microbes that cause serious illnesses. SERVPRO of Venice has the specialized training and equipment to quickly and safely clean contaminants like sewage.
When choosing a biohazard cleanup company, consider their experience and training. As a cleanup and restoration company, SERPVO of Venice has the ability to handle a wide range of pathogens and will ensure the cleanup process will go smoothly regardless of any unexpected developments.
Sewage backups pose significant property damage and health risks. SERVPRO is an Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certified firm with Applied Microbial Remediation Technicians. Their biohazard cleanup crew can remove the sewage, clean all surfaces, and eliminate odors along with harmful microorganisms.
WHAT TO DO IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING A SEWAGE BACKUP
Following are several steps that should be taken in order to help prevent the sewage backup from spreading.
- Be sure to remove any children, pets, and seniors from the home. Do not allow them back into the area until the damage is completely fixed and safe.
- Keep yourself safe by putting on any protective clothing such as rubber boots, rubber gloves, eye protection, a face mask, and more.
- If the distribution panel is above water, switch off the electricity by using a dry wooden stick and rubber gloves.
- Turn off the water in your home, and do not use any water for bathing, drinking, washing hands or dishes, and others. This water may be contaminated.
- You may need to contact your utility companies and have them shut off the supply to your home if you cannot safely turn them off yourself.
- Open your home’s doors and windows to allow proper air ventilation. You won’t want to use your home’s AC as this will spread contaminated air throughout your home.
- Remove any items from the area that are dry and not contaminated.
- You can add small amounts of chlorine bleach into the standing water to slightly disinfect.
- Contact your insurance company and notify them of the backup. You’ll want to take pictures of any damage that the sewage backup caused. This will come in handy as proof when filing your claim.
- Never attempt to unclog the drains. You will need to clean up the sewage spill before taking any further action.
For 24/7 service for any water damage, sewage backup, and toilet overflow, call SERPVRO of Venice at 941-484-7777
Why SERVPRO of Venice for Commercial Cleanup and Restoration Services
SERVPRO of Venice is Your #1 Choice for Commercial Cleanup and Restoration Services!
When your business experiences damage from a natural disaster, severe plumbing issue, fire, or flood, you need to act fast to reduce commercial water damage, limit financial loss, and keep your business open. Commercial restoration companies offer several services to bring your property back to its original condition, something you likely can’t do by yourself if you have suffered extended damages.
Qualities to Look for in Commercial Restoration Companies:
- Ask for Certifications - All legitimate restoration companies should have certifications to prove that their technicians have the skills and training necessary to perform all required tasks. Preferably, the business should have an IICRC (or the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification), which ensures top-level standards and ethics surrounding restoration processes.
- Look for a Full List of Services - The company you choose should have a comprehensive list of remediation services to restore commercial properties, including water and flood cleanup, debris removal, board-up, disinfection, and mold removal. If the restoration team cannot perform the services you need, you will have to find another company, causing you to spend more money and have longer wait times for remediation.
- Look for Positive Reviews - Reputable companies often include testimonials or links to review sites like Yelp to showcase previous clients’ reviews. Check their most recent reviews to ensure that they have skilled, friendly technicians who offer prompt services.
Why SERVPRO of Venice Is Your Best Choice
The experienced and skilled technicians of SERVPRO of Venice are highly trained, vetted, and strive to be as professional and courteous as possible. Along with our Commercial Large Loss Division and Disaster Response Team, SERVPRO is not only "Faster to Any Size Disaster", we are also the able to handle any size loss, large or small.
Our team is available 24/7/365. Our technicians will restore commercial properties that suffer damage due to floods, thunderstorms, hurricanes, or any other manmade or natural disaster with the same prompt and professional response.
SERVPRO of Venice offers a multitude of restoration services to breathe new life into your property after a disaster, including:
- Water Damage Cleanup and Restoration
- Professional Commercial Cleaning
- Fire and Smoke Cleanup and Restoration
- Commercial Mold Mitigation
- Commercial Document Restoration
- Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup & Restoration
Excessive mold growth is often a problem after disaster strikes due to water damage and moist conditions. Multiple government and health agencies state that high concentrations of mold in businesses can lead to what is known as “sick building syndrome,” causing clients and employees to experience respiratory problems, throat irritations, and fatigue. Mold remediation companies like SERVPRO of Venice can manage the infestation and bring it back to preloss condition.
If you suspect mold in your business office or commercial building, give us a call at 941-484-7777 today.
Faster to Any Size Water Damage in Venice Florida!
We are ready to assist you whenever your home has water damage or flooding. Call us 24/7 365 days a year
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Venice provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Venice arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 941-484-7777
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Venice
SERVPRO of Venice specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- RRRP - Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- ECTP - Employee Certification Training Program
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- OSHA - Other Training
- SRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- Venice Area Chamber of Commerce
- Osprey Nokomis Chamber of Commerce
- Venice Area Board of Realtors
- CAI WEST FLORIDA CHAPTER
- Venice Area Chamber of Commerce Business of the Month
Your Venice Florida Area 4th of July Fireworks Display Guide
Happy 4th of July America!
Happy Fourth of July! Looking for the best spots to catch fireworks this Fourth of July? Check out the following links for some of the professional shows being done in our communities. NBP Fireworks on the Lake: Nathen Benderson Park, Sarasota, July 3 2021, Gates Open 5:00 pm, Fireworks after 9:00 pm. More details here: https://www.visitsarasota.com/nbp-fireworks-lake-driven-sunset-automotive-group Suncoast Summer Fest July 4th Parade and Bayfront Fireworks: July 4 2021, With a parade in downtown Sarasota at 8:00 PM and bayfront fireworks after 9:00 pm More details here: https://www.suncoastsummerfest.org/events/celebrate-sarasota-july-4-parade-bayfront-fireworks Venice Florida Fourth of July Fireworks Show: July 4, 2021. The annual Venice fireworks display will be shot from the South Jetty shortly after 9:00 pm and last until around 9:30 pm. More details here: https://www.visitsarasota.com/4th-july-fireworks-display North Port Freedom Fest Fireworks : July 4, 2021. Mobile food vendors will be available, and parking opens at 6:00 pm. Watch from your car or parking spot, or bring a chair or blanket to claim physically distanced spots on the grass at Butler Park Fields. Fireworks display starts at 9:00 pm For those wishing to watch from home, a link for online viewing provided in details here: https://www.cityofnorthport.com/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/51250/1712 Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda Fishermen's Village Independence Weekend Celebration: July 3, 2021. From 12:00 - 9:00 pm. A family friendly celebration in Punta Gorda, featuring music, kids activities, vendors, shopping, dining and a gigantic fireworks display on July 3rd, at 9:00 pm. More details here: https://www.fishville.com/event/fishermens-village-4th-of-july-celebration/ Note: Please, be considerate of your neighbors and community if you decide to discharge fireworks from your home. For many of our veterans and seniors, along with most pets and wildlife, the loud bangs from fireworks can cause tremendous stress and anxiety. Have fun, but please also follow all local and state laws, and be safe.
Water Damage to your Commercial Property?
Big or small businesses we help them all!
If your Venice Florida business or organization suffers from a water damage, your main goal after ensuring the safety of your employees and clients is to minimize the damage and get back in business as soon as possible. While a water damage can cause extensive loss to a business, there are several ways to reduce the amount of financial and physical losses.
- Be prepared! By establishing a plan of action in case your suffer a loss, most businesses can reduce the total financial and time loss. The SERVPRO ERP offers a quick and no-cost solution to help organizations be better prepared during a catastrophic event.
- Part of being prepared is knowing where your utility shutoffs are located at and that they are in working order. Do not keep this a secret, and make sure key personnel know where and how to turn off water and other utility shutoffs.
- Call for help! SERVPRO of Venice is available 24/7, 365 days a year to assist your business in case of a water damage. No matter what time of day or night, give us a call to have a fast response and start the drying and restoration process right away.
- Other steps you can take that will help: Place foil or wood blocks under wood furniture legs and carpets to avoid bleeding; turn on the HVAC system to help dehumidify the area; remove any objects you safely can from wet flooring.
No matter what type of business you have, our team at SERVPRO wants to help you get back open as quickly as possible. Give us a call or contact us.
5 Fire Prevention Tips For Venice Florida Homeowners
After the fire department leaves, call SERVPRO of Venice to help restore your home or business.
A fire can be one of the most traumatic events in one's life. But the trauma and damage can be lessened if your home and everyone living there is aware of the basic steps of fire preparation. By being prepared in case of a fire, you provide insurance to help keep yourself and your family safe. Here are five tips to help survive a fire.
- Test all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. It is great that your home has smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. But you need to test them regularly (at least every 3 months) to ensure that they are working how they are intended too.
- Leave them sprinklers systems alone! Many newer multifamily home buildings (condos and townhomes) come with sprinkler systems built into the ceilings and walkways. NEVER hang anything from a sprinkler or block it's path or tamper with them. You could create a water damage and/or reduce the effectiveness of the sprinkler system.
- Purchase a fire extinguisher: A multi-class fire extinguisher can help prevent a small fire from becoming a whole home disaster. Strategically place them in areas where a fire may happen (kitchen, outdoor bbq area, laundry, garage, utility room, workshop, etc.) and near exit points. A fire extinguisher should only be used when a fire is confined to a small space. Do not try to fight a large fire with an extinguisher.
- Stay alert while cooking. Kitchen fires are often the cause of a residential fire. A grease fire is one of the most common types of kitchen fires. Please remember do NOT use any kind of liquid to extinguish a grease fire. Pouring a liquid of will just spread the grease and potentially cause more damage or injury. if possible and safe to do so, turn off the heat, cover the fire with a baking sheet or large pan to remove the oxygen supply. A class B, BC, or ABC fire extinguisher can be used as a last resort as it will contaminate your kitchen, but better than a full fire. If you are unsure and do not feel you have the ability to handle the fire, evacuate yourself and anyone else in the home and call 911.
- Have an evacuation and ready plan. Prepare a plan and practice your plan with all home residents. Have a clear plan to know how to evacuate your home in case of a fire or other disaster and also a safe spot where to meet at afterwards.
Despite how prepared we are there are potential events that result in fires that are uncontrollable and that cause widespread damage to a property. That is where SERVPRO of Venice steps in to help. Fire clean up should be left up to a professional restoration company that can aid in minimizing the fire damage as much as possible.
If you need any help with residential or commercial fire damage and clean up, please call us 24/7 365 days a year: SERVPRO of Venice, 941-484-7777