Top 8 Residential Fire and Smoke Damage Tips
SERVPRO fire and smoke damage tips for Venice Florida homeowners.
If your home has suffered from fire and/or smoke damage, your safety and the safety of everyone in your household should be the primary focus. Sometimes a fire marshall or other government official may need to give the 'all clear' before allowing anyone back into the building. If you are unsure, check with your local fire department.
Once you are back in the building, keep these tips in mind:
- Some of the most prevalent concerns to be on the lookout for are electrical and "slip and fall" hazards.
- If you are not sure about the safety of an activity that needs to be completed, do not attempt.
- Be careful handling wet materials, as they can be VERY heavy.
- To reduce the chance for smoke and soot becoming embedded into furniture, carpets, or upholstery, keep the movement limited in your home.
- Keep hands, tools, and cleaning cloths clean and fresh so as to not increase the amount of soiling.
- Change your HVAC filter. If smoke was heavy, consider having a licensed HVAC company inspect your duct work and air handler and other equipment that may have been damaged or affected.
- Remember the bottom side when cleaning house plants and other household items.
- Use a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil to clean and protect your household chrome.
Visit the following page for more information and tips: https://www.SERVPROvenice.com/fire-damage-tips
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? We are here to help you. Call (941) 484-7777
Venice Florida Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Venice Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Venice will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 941-484-7777