Did you know that the best way to reduce a business interruption following a disaster is to prepare for it now? Around 40% of businesses may never recover after suffering a disaster. Of the businesses that do survive, the majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. Here are a few quick steps you can take to prepare:
- Identify your risks and notate them: are you in a flood zone? Do you have a lot of trees near your business that could pose a threat? How quickly can you evacuate if needed?
- Create a disaster plan that includes at a minimum the following information: utility shut-off locations; emergency contacts; building and business insurance, vendor, and other important personnel contacts; have all electronic and/or paper records and files backed up offsite (cloud storage); evacuation routes; backup generator location and operation; known hazardous materials; etc.
- Share your plan with key personnel and make sure your employees know how to react and be communicated with during a disaster.
- Test and practice your preparedness plans. Make sure you have all employees correct contact information and that they understand your disaster protocol.
- During times of natural disasters, listen to your local government officials and media to know if, when, and where to evacuate and for other critical news and information.
For more information contact us at SERVPRO, follow your local and county Emergency Management Office on social media, and use public resources available from FEMA, such as this PDF document: Business Continuity and Preparedness
You can also contact SERVPRO of Venice for a no-cost Emergency Ready Profile. We will develop an initial readiness profile for your business and help you be prepared. Give us a call at 941-484-7777 or email at marketing@SERVPROofvenice.com to schedule your Emergency Ready Profile today.