Be Prepared for When Disaster Threatens Your Home or Business
Although Hurricane Season is almost over (The 'season' runs from June 1 - November 30), we want you, our clients, members of our community, and business partners to have the sources of information you need to be prepared. And now is the best time to be prepared.
Remember that even if your home and/or business is safe and secure from the effects of a storm, that infrastructure systems, including electric, water, sewer, and roads and public transportation may be severely affected and damage done to those systems can delay your ability to resupply or receive help. Delays in areas affected by major storms and hurricanes can last from hours to days. Please ensure that you and your loved ones have the basic items on the following checklist and "Be Prepared."
Following are some useful news, weather, shelter and government links for those who live in the Venice Florida area. Please note that sometimes links change and you may need to search for an updated source of information. This information is to help you, but should not be your only source. Contact your local emergency management service for more information.
Sarasota County Emergency Management Info:
- Sarasota Department of Emergency Services: https://www.scgov.net/government/departments/emergency-services
- City of North Port Family Disaster Preparedness: https://www.cityofnorthport.com/government/city-services/fire-rescue/emergency-management/family-disaster-preparedness
- Alert Sarasota Official notification system of Sarasota County: https://www.alertsarasotacounty.com/
- All-Hazards Disaster Planning Guide - Official Guide for Sarasota County: http://www.tbrpc.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Sarasota-DPG-2020.pdf
Social Media, News, and Weather Information links:
- Sarasota County Emergency Management Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Sarasota-County-Emergency-Services-623466111005511/
- National Weather Service - Tampa Bay Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NWSTampaBay/
- NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/NWSNHC/
- National Hurricane Center: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
- ABC 7 Sarasota Weather: http://www.mysuncoast.com/weather/
- SNN Sarasota Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SuncoastNewsNetwork/