5 Fire Prevention Tips For Venice Florida Homeowners
After the fire department leaves, call SERVPRO of Venice to help restore your home or business.
A fire can be one of the most traumatic events in one's life. But the trauma and damage can be lessened if your home and everyone living there is aware of the basic steps of fire preparation. By being prepared in case of a fire, you provide insurance to help keep yourself and your family safe. Here are five tips to help survive a fire.
- Test all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. It is great that your home has smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. But you need to test them regularly (at least every 3 months) to ensure that they are working how they are intended too.
- Leave them sprinklers systems alone! Many newer multifamily home buildings (condos and townhomes) come with sprinkler systems built into the ceilings and walkways. NEVER hang anything from a sprinkler or block it's path or tamper with them. You could create a water damage and/or reduce the effectiveness of the sprinkler system.
- Purchase a fire extinguisher: A multi-class fire extinguisher can help prevent a small fire from becoming a whole home disaster. Strategically place them in areas where a fire may happen (kitchen, outdoor bbq area, laundry, garage, utility room, workshop, etc.) and near exit points. A fire extinguisher should only be used when a fire is confined to a small space. Do not try to fight a large fire with an extinguisher.
- Stay alert while cooking. Kitchen fires are often the cause of a residential fire. A grease fire is one of the most common types of kitchen fires. Please remember do NOT use any kind of liquid to extinguish a grease fire. Pouring a liquid of will just spread the grease and potentially cause more damage or injury. if possible and safe to do so, turn off the heat, cover the fire with a baking sheet or large pan to remove the oxygen supply. A class B, BC, or ABC fire extinguisher can be used as a last resort as it will contaminate your kitchen, but better than a full fire. If you are unsure and do not feel you have the ability to handle the fire, evacuate yourself and anyone else in the home and call 911.
- Have an evacuation and ready plan. Prepare a plan and practice your plan with all home residents. Have a clear plan to know how to evacuate your home in case of a fire or other disaster and also a safe spot where to meet at afterwards.
Despite how prepared we are there are potential events that result in fires that are uncontrollable and that cause widespread damage to a property. That is where SERVPRO of Venice steps in to help. Fire clean up should be left up to a professional restoration company that can aid in minimizing the fire damage as much as possible.
If you need any help with residential or commercial fire damage and clean up, please call us 24/7 365 days a year: SERVPRO of Venice, 941-484-7777
Top 8 Residential Fire and Smoke Damage Tips
SERVPRO fire and smoke damage tips for Venice Florida homeowners.
If your home has suffered from fire and/or smoke damage, your safety and the safety of everyone in your household should be the primary focus. Sometimes a fire marshall or other government official may need to give the 'all clear' before allowing anyone back into the building. If you are unsure, check with your local fire department.
Once you are back in the building, keep these tips in mind:
- Some of the most prevalent concerns to be on the lookout for are electrical and "slip and fall" hazards.
- If you are not sure about the safety of an activity that needs to be completed, do not attempt.
- Be careful handling wet materials, as they can be VERY heavy.
- To reduce the chance for smoke and soot becoming embedded into furniture, carpets, or upholstery, keep the movement limited in your home.
- Keep hands, tools, and cleaning cloths clean and fresh so as to not increase the amount of soiling.
- Change your HVAC filter. If smoke was heavy, consider having a licensed HVAC company inspect your duct work and air handler and other equipment that may have been damaged or affected.
- Remember the bottom side when cleaning house plants and other household items.
- Use a light coating of petroleum jelly or oil to clean and protect your household chrome.
Visit the following page for more information and tips: https://www.SERVPROvenice.com/fire-damage-tips
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? We are here to help you. Call (941) 484-7777
Venice Florida Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Venice Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Venice will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 941-484-7777